Saturday, November 27, 2010

The holiday season.

My favorite time of year has to be from October to the end of December. If I disregarded school and studying for exams and writing papers, it would be perfect and I would probably be in a good mood the entire time.

It starts with October, which is when the fall season really kicks in. Leaves are changing colors, becoming rich reds and oranges and bright yellows; the foliage is brilliant and perfect for picture taking. The end of October means its Halloween, and even though I didn't get to participate in the shenanigans of Mischief Night and trick or treating and dressing up, it's still one of my favorite holidays.

Once November rolls around, the hockey season is in full swing and the weather is becoming ever crisper and cooler. At times, it's frigid and makes me miserable, but I cheer up at the thought of being able to layer myself in sweatshirts and jackets and colorful hats and scarves and gloves. This year, November also meant the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One. November also means Thanksgiving, which, as I get older, I like more and more. When I was younger, I never really looked forward to Thanksgiving; I just looked forward to the holiday that followed it: Christmas. Because it of course meant presents and new toys and books. But now, as I'm approaching my twenties (god, how scary is that?) I start to actually look forward to Thanksgiving because as weird and crazy and sometimes annoying and frustrating my family might be, I actually enjoy going to parties and spending time with them now. There is never a lack of entertainment or stimulating conversation and I can flit between talking with the adults and hanging out with my cousin and brother. I am thankful that I have a wonderful family.

But sometimes I feel like Thanksgiving gets a bit overshadowed by the day that follows it: Black Friday. It's officially the start of the madness that is shopping for Christmas gifts. I ventured out to join the psychotic groups of people, though I chose not to go out at three in the morning. When I hear about people who have camped out overnight just to get a good deal on something, I wonder why it was so much more important than celebrating with your family. It shouldn't be. But in the society we live in today, 25% off a TV means that you have to abandon common sense and sleep outside Best Buy.

Then as December rolls around, it becomes winter and the cold makes me wish for snow. Snow is the only thing that makes the cold bearable (and as my friends can tell you, I get cold very easily, and I get made fun of for it). But I get to bundle up in as many layers as I can manage and when I'm inside I get to lounge around in sweatpants and cozy slippers and drink hot tea and watch movies and read books. December means I get a month off from school to relax and recuperate from the stresses of the first semester, and prepare myself for the second. December means I have searching the depths of my wallet, wondering why I bought this CD for myself when I could have spent the money on something for someone else, but I just couldn't resist. Somehow I always pull through and I love perusing stores and catalogs and the Internet, looking for something creative to give to my friends and family. December means going with my family out to Sussex County to cut down a tree and bring it home to decorate. From that moment on I become very festive, and I don't mind listening to Christmas songs on the radio.

The holiday season is one of my favorite times of year. We are in the thick of it right now, and I'm very much enjoying myself. I hope your holidays are just as wonderful as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment